Back in the 80s children got up early on Saturday morning to watch the cartoons that would play on their dial based televisions. There was overwhelming thrill for the Snorks, Smurfs, He-Man, and perhaps even CareBears. Now, cartoons are available all day and they have lost their thrill for the children they are designed to engage. So what about sports and cartoons? What are the best sports cartoons of all time?
Stephen Collins creates his own cartoon strips. No doubt he could readily point out the cartoons that inspired this career change. However, if he were to desire a sport based cartoon we are certain it would depict his favorite sports’ team, the Mets. But, since he hasn’t been in the business very long, we won’t be including his cartoons in our list of best sports cartoons, though feel free to check out his other illustrations.
8 Great Sports Cartoons
We love cartoons and no doubt some of the illustrations on this list will tug at your memories as well. However, please keep in mind that the cartoons mentioned here are being deemed the best sports cartoons of all time which means that some of these creative images will be well beyond your Saturday morning experiences. Perhaps your kids will even recognize some of the cartoons on this list:
- Football and Charlie Brown– You remember the storyline. Lucy is always convincing poor gullible Charlie Brown to come kick the football she is holding in place for him. And, as he gears up his strength and hope, and runs at the ball prepared to pack a serious punch, she lifts it off the ground and he goes flying heel overhead. No matter how many times she does this to him we still laugh. Watch these.
- Tom and Jerry and Sports of all Kinds– Tom and Jerry mostly just beat each other up but if you can recall some of the episodes in which they played varying sports, you will have to admit that they made you laugh.
- 1940s Disney Football– No doubt you have never seen this video. However, it does a great job illustrating America’s favorite pastime. Besides, it does that without any famous Disney characters, which is certainly impressive.
- Space Jam by Looney Tunes– Years past the 80s’ Saturday cartoon extravaganza, this movie showcases Michael Jordan and his incredible basketball skills. You might not believe it, but there are rumors that Lebron James will star in the sequel. Learn more.
- Hockey Homicide staring Goofy- Pretty much any cartoon with Goofy in it is guaranteed to get a laugh. His ridiculous antics will leave even the most hardened individual cracking a smile.
- Daredevil Skateboarder Bart Simpson– An evening cartoon that originated in the 90s, The Simpson’s took the adult cartoon world by storm. In one such episode, Bart becomes a maniac on his board. He performs all kinds of crazy tricks including gearing up to jump Springfield Gorge.
- Hockey Playing Lisa Simpson– Although the brains in the show, Lisa is capable of getting active with the best of them.
- Softball Homer– The episode in which he plays for the nuclear power plants’ softball team is epic. That magic bat is out of this world, or at least out of the park. Click this to see Simpson’s videos.
In honor of the 80s, we picked 8 great sports cartoons, but we are sure there are more to be discovered.